In my last post, you likely noticed several repeat appearances of my new favorite Beet & Apple Salad. It was such an easy and flavorful way to use fresh beets that I turned to this recipe several times to help work my way through the many pounds of Beets I received in my Spring CSA.
Even better, while roasted beets can be absolutely divine, this recipe is perfect for hot summer days when you don’t feel like turning the oven on.
Just one thought before we begin:
If you have a Food Processor with a grating attachment, this recipe can be ready in 10 minutes flat. If not, unfortunately I imagine this recipe could be a long and messy process.
Here we go:
First, I scrub, peel and roughly chop about a pound of beets.
Then scrub, core and roughly chop 2 medium Fuji or Gala apples or about 2/3lb. I prefer to buy Organic apples since they are in the Dirty Dozen. If your apples are Organic, you can leave the skins on. If they are conventional, then be sure to peel your apples.
Grate your Beets and Apples using the grating attachment on your food processor and then toss them together in a large bowl. I love seeing how quickly the white apple bits pick up the red color from the beets. With a few stirs, it will all soon be the same color.
Nuts are optional for this recipe – I’ve made and loved this salad both with and without nuts – but they do add a nice texture and make for a more filling dish.
If using nuts, give the food processor a quick rinse, then place the regular chopping attachment into the food processor and pulse until the nuts are coarsely ground. Almonds, Walnuts or Pecans would go great with this recipe, and I used about 1/2 a cup.
Add the nuts to the bowl of beets & apples, and also toss in about 1/4 cup of Raisins for sweetness.
Now it’s time to dress the salad with 1-2 TB of Lemon Juice, 1-2 TB of Red Wine Vinegar, and 1/4 cup of Reduced Fat Vegenaise. Sprinkle in 1/4 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp ground pepper, toss well, taste, and adjust seasonings to your liking.
While I usually prefer fresh lemon juice, I find that jarred lemon juice works well in this recipe in combination with the Red Wine Vinegar. For another variation, my instagram friend @LeslieConn suggests trying this salad with Lime Juice instead, which she said is OMG good.
For best taste, let marinate in the fridge for 30 minutes, and eat it outside on a warm summer day!
I’d love to hear from you!
What’s your favorite way to prepare Beets?
Do you have a Food Processor?
Beet & Apple Salad
- 1 lb Beets, Scrubbed, Peeled & Coarsely Chopped
- 2 medium Gala or Fuji Apples (~2/3 lb) (peel if not Organic), Scrubbed, Cored & Coarsely Chopped
- 1/2 cup Almonds, Walnuts or Pecans (optional)
- 1/4 cup Seedless Raisins
- 1/4 cup Reduced Fat Vegenaise
- 1-2 Tablespoons Red Wine Vinegar
- 1-2 Tablespoons Lemon Juice
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground Pepper
- Food Processor with Grating & Chopping Attachment
- Grate the Beets & Apples using the Food Processor with Grating Attachment. Place in a large bowl, toss and set aside.
- If using nuts, give the Food Processor a quick rinse and place the Chopping Attachment inside. Coarsely grind the nuts.
- Add the Nuts, Raisins, Vegenaise, Red Wine Vinegar, Lemon Juice, Salt, and Pepper to the bowl with the beets and apples. Stir well. Taste & adjust seasonings.
- Cover and let chill for 30 minutes to allow the flavors to marinate. This will also keep well covered in the fridge for several days.
I’ve linked up my recipe at two Healthy, Vegan recipe swaps. Check ‘em out to find more great recipes!