Hi Friends –
Last month I participated in my 4th “Power to the Veg” Food Swap. The theme was “HalloVeegan” but I’m posting a bit late since I’m still working my way through the HUGE amount of goodies I received!
What I Sent
I was a bit nervous since I was assigned to send a box to Kayle of the beautiful blog Cowgirls & Collard Greens. Yep, that’s her on the Magazine Cover down below!
Not only is she a modern-day Cowgirl in Northern California’s countryside, she’s also a two-time Cancer Survivor. And fun-fact: Though her name is pronounced Kay-Lee, some friends enjoy calling her “Kale“.
She told me that she loves sweets but isn’t big on Halloween, prefers Chai Tea over Coffee, and has a kitty cat. She was also really interested in trying products local to Chicago. Here’s what I picked out:
Chicago VeganMania Treats
It was much easier than usual to find local goods since I was able to do most of my shopping for Kayle at Chicago VeganMania, where I found the following goodies:
- HURRAW! Chai Spice Lip Balm – since she loves Chai
- North Coast Organic’s Death By Lavender Deoderant (*LOCAL* & Handmade)
- Zema’s Sweet Potato Pancake & Waffle Mix (*LOCAL*)
- Sant Superfruit Beverage (*LOCAL*) – The founder of Sant is super awesome. Not only did she give me a complimentary pouch for Kayle, she’s also giving away a free pouch to one lucky VeggieNextDoor reader – enter here!
- GoPicnic Almond Butter & Multigrain Cracker Snack (*LOCAL*) – I sometimes keep GoPicnics in my Desk Drawer at work
- BeWitched’s Catnip Taco (Handmade… and probably local) – for her Kitty, of course!
- Nature’s Bakery Mango Fig Bar – I love this Fig bars and Mango was a new-to-me flavor
Other Fall Finds
I also picked up a few other goodies that made me think of Fall.
- Maple Leaf Cookie Cutter
- Cinnamon Crunch Somersaults – I haven’t tried this flavor, but their other flavors are OMG good so I’m sure these are scrumptious!
- Frontera Chipotle Pumpkin Salsa (Probably Local – Rick Bayless has several restaurants in Chicago, afterall!)
- Nyakers Orange Ginger Thins – I was surprised to learn these were Vegan!
All Together Now…
What I Received
As always, no matter how pleased I am with the box I send out, I always seem to get even better goodies in return. This swap was no exception!
I was assigned to receive a box from Shawn who among other ventures is the manager of the Snack Shop at The Gentle Barn Animal Sanctuary, so of course she put together a collection of amazing Vegan Snacks for me!
Just look at all those amazing goodies – it’s been nearly a month and while I’ve put a sizeable dent in my new snack stash, I still have a few goodies left
Earth Balance Cheddar Squares
One of my FAVORITE items in my package was this box of Earth Balance Cheddar Squares. At the time, these were new to me, but I liked them so much I’ve since bought two more boxes.
I think these are amazing, though don’t expect them to taste like CheezIts – these seemed less oily & less dense than CheezIts to me, though still very, very Cheezy. I actually think they taste much better than CheezIts, though Mike would disagree.
Bars, Bars, Bars
I can always use more healthy snacks for work and these bars were the perfect treat. I don’t know what brand they were but the ones in silver wrappers were like Rice Krispie Treats – SO GOOD!
I am looking forward to trying the Lemon Pie Coco-Roons very soon because the Brownie Coco-Roons were so good! Of course they were tasty, because all the ingredients were so good – they’re just Coconut, Almond Flour, Cacao, Maple Syrup, Coconut Oil, Vanilla, and Salt.
So far I’ve only tried the Zouq Curry Crunch and I loved how authentic it tasted. The Sweet, Sour, and Salty combination tasted just like snacks I’ve had in India. I look forward to trying the other flavors of Zouq’s exotic snack line and I especially love Zouq’s mission of trying to promote cultural connection & understanding through their globally inspired foods.
Shawn’s package definitely put me in the Halloween Spirit with decorations, a candle, baking stencils, and even kitty toys for Maple. I especially enjoyed the socks, which I wore for Halloween, and I’ve been making my grocery lists on the festive notepad.
What’s Halloween without Candy? I didn’t waste any time before digging into all 3 of these naturally flavored sweets.
I brought these Big Slice’s to the office and these hearty portions of kettle cooked apples made for awesome snacks. I especially loved their unique Cinnamon French Toast flavored Apples.
Sparkling Pumpkin-Spiced Apple Cider
I especially love the fancy bottle and will be trying this soon!
And last, but definitely not least, I got a huge supply of coupons! I was seriously excited about these and have gotten a lot of use out of them already.
Thanks so much, Shawn, for such an awesome swap box!
I’d love to hear from you, too!
Have you tried the Earth Balance Cheddar Squares yet – if so, what did you think?
What snacks are you loving this Fall?