When I attended the Blogger Cooking Class @ Whole Foods Market, I learned several great recipes including a delicious Marinara Sauce and an oil-free, no-sugar-added Berry Cobbler that I hope to make again very soon.
However, there was one recipe in particular that I’m now officially hooked on – the WFM “Health Starts Here” Strawberry Banana Smoothie.
In fact, I’ve already made it 3 times at home – all double-batches! I love how simple & creamy it is – almost like a Strawberry Banana Milkshake.
It’s a little embarrassing to admit, but I’m not very good at making smoothies. While you’d think any combination of fruits in a blender would be delicious, if I don’t follow a recipe, my Smoothie-Making Success Rate is about 50/50, with them often winding up too sweet, too bland, or too confused.
This recipe not only makes the perfect Smoothie as written, this recipe can also serve as a template to be used with other ingredient combinations. In fact, each of the 3 Batches I made was a little bit different:
- First, I followed the recipe exactly as written
- Second, we made it without the Almond Butter (our favorite way)
- And Third, I used flax meal instead of the almond butter and used a mixture of strawberries & raspberries
You can also flex this recipe for your dietary needs:
- When having this Smoothie as a meal, I like to include the Almond Butter since the Healthy Fats keep me full longer.
- For energy after a workout, I like to have this smoothie with Soy Milk for a nice combo of sugar & protein to aid recovery.
- Or for a very light snack, it could be made with Almond Milk and no Almond Butter.
- Since I use frozen berries instead of ice, the leftovers stay super smooth and creamy in an air-tight jar in the fridge – that’s why I always make double batches!
(Shared with minor adaptations with permission via the Whole Foods Market Blogger Cooking Class I attended)
- 8 oz Frozen Strawberries
- 1 cup chilled unsweetened non-dairy milk
- 1 ripe Banana
- 2 Tbsp Smooth Almond Butter (optional)
Place all ingredients into a blender and blend until Smooth.
I’d love to hear from you!
What’s your favorite Smoothie Recipe or Combo?
Are you good at making Improv Smoothies, or (like me) do you need a Recipe/Template?
P.S. Don’t forget to enter my giveaway for Sant Superfruit Beverage – an Organic, Antioxidant-rich tea with only ONE ingredient – a fruit you’ve likely never heard of!